How does one become Premium?
You can become a Premium user in two ways:
- 1. By subscribing to a subscription costing 100 Euros per year.
- 2. By entering a promotional code.
The enchanting village of Campli is a small jewel of Abruzzo, located in the province of Teramo. It is one of those places where secular traditions are an integral part of the life of the inhabitants, just over 7000 souls, and where time seems to flow at a pleasantly slow pace. A treasure chest of art and history, perched on the Teramo hills about 30 kilometers from the Adriatic.
Embraced by the Twin Mountains
In the Gran Sasso and Monti della Laga National Park, in a territory included in the "District between the two kingdoms", dominated by the majestic profiles of the twin mountains, the town of Campli rises on a plateau, between the valleys of the Siccagno and Fiumicino torrents.
The Campli territory was inhabited since ancient times, as evidenced by the discovery of tombs at the Italic Necropolis of Campovalano, used from the twelfth to the second century BC.
The town has maintained the appearance of the medieval mercantile village, a feature clearly visible in the historic center where there are buildings dating back to the fourteenth century arcades and elegant palaces sixteenth century, including the House of the pharmacist, with the beautiful loggia of the late ‘500, and the House of the doctor, from the characteristic facade decorated with sentences and Latin mottoes engraved on the lintels of the windows. Along the main street you can also admire the beautiful portal in carved stone of the Church of San Francesco, of the principles of the ‘300, annexed to the ex Franciscan convent, today seat of the National Archaeological Museum.
The most flourishing period of Campli’s development starts from the XV century. Among the numerous events we remember the presence in the village of San Giovanni da Capestrano and the foundation, promoted by him, of the first convent of the Observant rule, entitled to San Bernardino (1448-49). The commerce of the wools and the cloths were flourishing.
In 1520 Campli, from state-owned territory, became Farnesiano feud. The feud was given as a dowry by Charles V to his natural daughter Margaret of Austria, who married in second marriage Ottavio Farnese, Duke of Parma and Piacenza. The rule of the Farnese family lasted until 1734 and, thanks to their influence, Campli obtained the title of city in 1600, when it became a bishopric and diocese together with the city of Ortona until 1818.