The Neveh Shalom Synagogue

Paramaribo, Suriname

Simona Bertolaso

Paramaribo

Share

Distance
Duration
Type
Luoghi religiosi
Hosted in
Inglese
Facility
Food, Tickets, Equiphment

Description

The Neveh Shalom Synagogue is the only synagogue of the Ashkenazi community in Suriname.
The lot on Keizerstraat 82 was acquired in 1716 by Sephardi Jews. The original building was completed in 1723 and replaced the first Surinamese synagogue in the Jodensavanne, originally built of wood between 1665-1671 (but already rebuilt with bricks). The synagogue was sold to the Ashkenazim in 1735, and the Sephardim formed a separate community known as Tzedek ve-Shalom. The two communities have since merged, and hold services in alternating buildings and alternating rites.
The current synagogue on the Keizerstraat 82 lot, designed by architect J.F. Halfhide, was completed in 1842 or 1843.
The Mosque Keizerstraat is adjacent to the synagogue.

image map