The Burgtheater (Imperial Court Theatre)

Universitätsring 2, 1010 Wien, Austria

Simona Bertolaso

Wien

Share

Distance
Duration
Type
Arte, Teatri e Musei
Hosted in
Inglese
Facility
Food, Tickets, Equiphment

Description

The Burgtheater (Imperial Court Theatre) opened on 14 March 1741, the creation of the Habsburg Empress Maria Theresa of Austria who wanted a theatre next to her palace. Three Mozart operas premiered there. The theatre’s first building adjoined the Hofburg at Michaelerplatz, opposite St. Michael’s Church. The theatre was moved to a new building at the Ringstraße in 1888 designed by Gottfried Semper and Karl Freiherr von Hasenauer.
On March 12, 1945 the Burgtheater was largely destroyed in a bombing raid, and, one month later, on April 12, 1945, it was further damaged by a fire of unknown origin. After the war, the theatre was restored between 1953 and 1955. The classic Burgtheater style and the Burgtheater-German language were trend-setting for German language theatres.

image map