Tampere Orthodox Church

Tuomiokirkonkatu 27, 33100 Tampere, Finlandia

Simona Bertolaso

Tampere

Share

Distance
Duration
Type
Luoghi religiosi
Hosted in
Inglese
Facility
Food, Tickets, Equiphment

Description

Tampere Orthodox Church is an Eastern Orthodox church in Tampere, Finland, located in the Kyttälä city district. It is dedicated to the Saint Alexander Nevsky and to the Saint Nicholas. It was completed in 1899 by the design of the Russian military architect T. U. Yazukov. It was built in Russian romantic style, with onion style cupolas. The church was consecrated in 1899 to Saint Alexander Nevsky, a Novgorodian who in 1240 fought against the Catholic Swedes and two years later the Catholic Teutonic Knights with equal success, and was accordingly canoniced for these nationalistic but bloody deeds. Emperor Nicholas II donated the bells to this church. The church suffered heavily during the Finnish civil war in 1918 and most of the movables were disappeared or destroyed.The reconstruction took several years. After Finland declared its independence, it was re-consecrated to St. Nicholas, a less belligerent saint.
It is considered to be one of the most beautiful buildings in Tampere.

image map