Padua: The Public Gardens of the Arena

Piazza Eremitani, 35121 Padova PD, Italia

Simona Bertolaso

Padova

Share

Distance
Duration
Type
Giardini e Parchi
Hosted in
Inglese
Facility
Food, Tickets, Equiphment

Description

The public Gardens of the Arena, a true example of a public city park inserted in the historic urban fabric, extend from Corso Garibaldi to Via Porciglia, skirting the main trunk of the Bacchiglione river that joins the Brenta and Bacchiglione and is still navigable.
Along this side of the Gardens stands the Bastione dell’Arena, part of the city walls.
Opposite the Bastion is the old Gasometer and the pier where the barges loaded with coal used to arrive in the city.
The Gardens can be accessed either from the small square with the Garibaldi monument, at the intersection of Corso Garibaldi and Via Giotto, or from Via Porciglia.
Inside you can admire
the remains of the Arena, the ancient Roman theatre of Padua, built around 70 A.D,
the Scrovegni Chapel, built between 1303 and 1305 and decorated with Giotto’s splendid frescoes,
the Eremitani complex, with the convent, now seat of the Eremitani Museum,
the Church, dedicated to Saints Philip and James, but traditionally known as the Church of the Eremitani.

image map